If one does not fall asleep after lying on bed then HAZRAT MUHAMMAD (SAW) recommended following prayer:
اَللّٰھُمَّ غَارَتِ النُّجُوْمُ وَھَدَأَتِ الْعُیُوْنُ وَاَنْتَ حَیٌّ قَیُّوْمُ لَا تَأْخُذُکَ سِنَۃٌ وَّلَانَوْمٌ یَاحَیُّ یَاقَیُّوْمُ اَھْدِیْٔ لَیْلِیْ وَاَنِمْ عَیْنِیْ
Oh ALLAH! Stars hid, eyes got peace and you are alive forever. You do not feel the need to sleep. Oh the one who lives forever give my eyes the peace and make them to sleep in this night.
HAZRAT BARIDA (رضی اللہ عنہ) narrated that HAZRAT KHALID BIN WALEED (رضی اللہ عنہ) once said to HAZRAT MUHAMMAD (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم) that I remain sleepless at night. HAZRAT MUHAMMAD (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم) replied that whenever you lie on bed recite this prayer:
اَللّٰھُمَّ رَبَّ السَّمٰوٰتِ السَّبْعِ وَمَا اَظَلَّتْ وَ رَبَّ الْاَرْضِیْنَ وَمَا اَقَلَّتْ وَرَبَّ الشَّیَاطِیْنِ وَمَا اَضَلَّتْ کُنْ لِیْ جَارًا مِّنْ شَرِّ خَلْقِکَ اَجْمَعِیْنَ اَنْ یَّفْرُطَ عَلَیَّ اَحَدٌ مِّنْھُمْ اَوْاَنْ یَّطْغٰی عَزَّجَارُکَ (وَتَبَارَکَ اسْمُکَ) وَجَلَّ ثَنَاؤُکَ وَلَا اِلٰہَ غَیْرُکَ (ترمذی
Oh ALLAH! The lord of 7 skies and everything beneath it and lord of devils and their mischievous acts and take me under your protection against the false doing of your whole creation so that nobody can harm me. One who is under your protection is safe. Standard of your praise is high; there is nobody worthy of worship except you and you are the real LORD.
Stay away from the sleeping pills because in the beginning they cause one to sleep but slowly their quantity needs to be increased and then there comes a time that no matter how many sleeping pills one take, one cannot fall asleep. These tablets are hazardous for one’s health as well. Follow the method given below:
1) If one cannot fall asleep then recite AYAH 56 of SURAH AHZAB and DAROOD? INSH ALLAH one will fall asleep.
2) Recite following prayer before sleeping:
اللھم باسمک اموت واحیا
3) If one cannot fall asleep then recite AYAH 9 of SURAH NABA again and again INSHALLAH one will fall asleep.
4) If one cannot fall asleep then recite then recite the following three times with DAROOD in the beginning and end:
لَآ اِلٰہَ اِلَّا ہُوَ اَلْمَلِکُ الْحَقُّ الْمُبِیْن
5) Sleeplessness is an old disease. In old times if one does not fall asleep then they used to chew uncooked onion or take boiled onion in milk.
6) Cook 6 grams aniseeds (SONF In URDU) in half kg of water. When approx 125 gram of water is left then add approx 250 gram cow milk and approx 12 gram cow GHEE. Add sugar to taste and use this mixture. INSH ALLAH it will prove beneficial for sleeplessness.
7) Mix medium sized onion in yogurt and eat it before sleeping. It will cause you to sleep well.
8) Lie straight on bed, arms straight. Now breathe deeply for 6 seconds and hold the breath for 3 seconds and exhale slowly. Now lie on your chest and repeat this method. It will cause one to sleep.
9) Take pulp of pumpkin seeds approx 5.5 grams (half TOLA in URDU) and add little sucrose sugar (MISRI in URDU) in it. It will bring peaceful sleep.
10) Eating fruit chat also helps alleviate the problem of sleeplessness. Sometimes having dandruff in ones hair does cause sleeplessness. In such a situation massaging with oil is beneficial. Decrease the intake of tea or coffee instead eats fruits and milk. Over thinking also cause sleeplessness. Develop friendly relations with your family and relatives. Do not develop the feelings of hatred and revenge for others INSH ALLAH sleep and life both will become peaceful.
Sleeplessness problem will also be solved by eating fruit chat. Sometimes due to dandruff you won’t sleep in this case massage your head by oil, reduce the use of tea and coffee, instead of these things use milk and fruits more. Don’t give place of useless things in your mind and avoid lose talk, these thing also effect on your sleep. Make good relationship with your family, friends, and relatives. Make your heart clean from anger, revenge, stubborn, InshaAllah you will get peace in your life and sleep.